Wednesday, December 23, 2009

weird day

Without using any names, it was a weird day.  I didn't work a whole lot but had to cut a conversation off that had gone on way too long with someone who was just killing time.  Since I was the only one in my area, I was the one he was killing time with.  Oh well.  It was a good conversation.  Then I had a meeting with someone and I mostly just shook my head at how inefficient the use of many different programs and spreadsheets for one task that should be easy to pre-populate or at least run some nifty Excel macros on.  For the short term, I taught someone the magic of format painter and offered to answer any questions whenever I could.
Then I had lunch with a good friend and we had a great time talking about kids and an organization that we both have in our hearts but it just can't fit in our lives.  It basically boiled down to "if everyone would just listen to us and do things like we wrote the list out, then there wouldn't be so many problem."
I've had a friend have a miscarriage recently.  One of the most difficult things a person ever has to go through.  There really is no explanation, no cure, no one to really blame.  1 out of 4 pregnancies end in miscarriage.  That's 25%.  I'm doing better than average in that case.  Or worse, epending on your point of view, but that just means someone else doesn't have to go through it if statistically it all washes out.
Then I had a friend tell me a grandparent had passed after several medical issues over the weekend.  So much sadness for so many at this time of year.  But it's one of those things that you have to look at and say "yeah this sucks right now, but that doesn't mean that Christmas is ruined forever".  You have to look for the smallest of miracles in every situation.
Steve and I got to pick up Beca from school a little early, which is always special for her - she loves it.  and then we went to run an errand to buy something for a dirty Santa game and bought something that I NEVER thought I would purchase.  We were in the middle of Crossroads plaza and pulled a fast one on all the yahoos in the parking lot by scooting around the back of REI and ToysRUs and coming out at a green light - Breakin' the law, breakin' the law!!  well, not really.  but it felt so sneaky...  Beca and I voted for Red Robin for dinner.  Nothing odd about that, except that all dinner plans we had made for tonight had been cancelled due to family tragedies and all we can do to help is pray for continued healing and comfort.
And then it got really weird when we got home.  The banshee inhabited Beca again and she kept screaming at Steve that he needed to stop screaming for her to go get her pajamas and put them on, in between yelling about how cold she was.  I couldn't here what he was saying from downstairs but I could hear every word Beca shouted at him.  An out of the blue phone call and a comment posting from people I haven't talked to in ages made the top of the weird list of the day.  Plus a call to tell me that a plane with a very special package was arriving tonight on schedule!!
And now I'm realizing fully that tomorrow is Christmas Eve.  Other than Beca's presents, I have no idea where I put half of my stuff, I need to find some more bags or something, there's tons of laundry that needs to get put away (which is the absolute hardest part for me for some reason), there's tons more laundry to actually do, we don't have anything really for Christmas Day to eat in the house, and oh, I don't know what all else.  Don't you just love Christmas time????

No comments: