Monday, April 6, 2009

things I love 39, 40, & 41 - puzzles, family games, and bowling

Again, this post was started weeks ago and I am just now finishing it up.

While I'm not a hugs sports and games fan because I'm not overly fond of direct competition, I have always enjoyed puzzles, family games and bowling. I love how you can do a simple puzzle and just figure it out by the picture or a complex one and you have to use the ability to see both the details and the big picture to make all the pieces fit. Beca loves them too. So I get to do them more.
When I was younger, we played lots of little family games. Mostly because Kyle and I could play them all day long and still entertain each other. I love that my parents joined in, except when Dad said he wasn't going to play a game in the car when he was driving and then would blurt out "there's a J" for the alphabet game or "I found New York" when looking for license plates. It was just as much fun to pick on him for playing when he said he wasn't going to than it was to play the game. Except punch bug in the car - I hate that game. But now Beca has inherited our stash and she is slowly learning how to play them. But since she's 3, she cheats and she is learning why. But she is doing really good at Bingo now that she knows her numbers and letters better! So it should be lots of fun to play family games together again. And just so you know, chutes are for going down, not climbing up. That requires constant clarification!
My one sport that I do like is bowling. I loved the semester in college that I took bowling 3 days a week, bowled for intramural and played occasionally for fun. I was really good, even getting a 210 in a game! Not that good any more. But the Wii helps to curb the urge to toss a ball at someone! All you do is imagine someone you want to knock over on the pins, aim the ball and chuck it! I even know my stance, although with the additonal shifts since Beca was born, I have to modify that now. Can't wait for her to go bowling soon!

1 comment:

JaclynJohnson said...

Brooklyn LOVES the Wii bowling game....and is actually pretty good at it. I like it because you don't have to hang out in a smelly bowling alley and wear rented shoes. :-)